Wednesday, August 19, 2026

2026 Trekell Pet Portrait Competition entry

 This portrait of one of Muscovy ducks is my entry for this year's Trekell Pet Portrait Competition.  This competition requires artists to use a special shaped birch panel as the support.  I was relieved the shape of this year's panel was simpler than in previous years, and I felt I could paint what I wanted and not worry too much about how the shape affects the composition.

 The Muscovy is named Laguna.  She is a rather special duck as she has heterochromia - both of her eyes are blue and brown!  She loves her baths, of course, and I wanted to capture her contentedly preening after a bath with water beading up on her waterproofed feathers.  I hope others who see this painting feel the peace I feel when I watch my birds preen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are posted after they are approved.