Monday, June 11, 2012

New project

Today I started on a painting of one of my pet Black Star hens named
"Meanie #1".  It is done on an 8" X 10" stretched canvas.

Here are the photos of the work I did today.


Step one: Draw grid in pencil.

Here I used 1" X 1" squares. Notice that one square in the middle of the canvas is divided into four smaller squares. This makes it easier to get an accurate outline of a small but important shape in the picture (the chicken's eye).


Step two: Draw outline in pencil.

Not only do I draw the basic shape of the subject, but I also try to outline certain details that I need to be reminded of when I start painting. Here I outlined the basic area where this chicken's red feathers are.


Step three: Paint background.


Step four: Start painting chicken.

I always like to start with an eye if I am doing an animal. It makes it so I have something to paint around and to compare my colors to (eyes are one of my favorite things to paint, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are posted after they are approved.